Tuesday 7 December 2010

Strolls 4, 5 and 6: A Sentimental Journey from St Leonards to Hastings

I should have started blogging from the outset. The need to record this has become more apparent as events hav unfolded. With repetition comes a certain disorientation of memory, the strolls run into one another, like childhood holidays, or dreams. This one should ring me up to date.



The 4th celebration Bottle Alley Ukulele Stroll. Come along, bring a ukulele or anything you can hit, blow and strum. It may just be me and you and a half mile of concrete, glass and seaside. Or it could be a festival of seaside fun. It is guaranteed to disappoint and excite in equal measure.

I'm keen to lower expectations now. I fear the look of Why Have I Left My Cosy Home On Sunday Afternoon For This. If you come along, you only have yourself to blame. As I rush down Bottle Alley I keep thinking that this may be the first one I do alone. I suppose I'm almost looking forward to having put that behind me. Then it does become a personal oddy-sea and no-one will feel that they have to attend.

I should mention the light and the waves and the tide and the birds on the beach. As I rush down Bottle Alley I take great pleasure in the sight and sound of the sea. On the Stroll back I'm hardly aware of the sea, or of anything outside of the alley, but hurrying west the alley seems to look out more.

I'd adapted, in the usual sentimental doggeral, The Tide Is High to be about Hastings Pier. The tide is very low actually, but no matter. We sing it and the other Bottle Alley Ukulele Stroll Anthems. Perhaps I should put them into a little Bottle Alley Song Book.

I decide after this not to put each Sunday as an event to invite people to.

28th November: It was a cold brisk Bottle Alley Stroll Number 5: The One Where I Forgot To Bring My Ukulele. Thanks Bev.

Can you believe that I would leave my Ukulele at home? It had been a frenetic weekend. I got to the car and realised I'd left the Ukulele at home. I borrowed Bev's and as there were only two ukuleleists there Andy and I did a little two man show. That was different.

5th December: Bottle Alley Ukulele Stroll Number 6.

Two of us parade through the concrete tunnel. Penny has a new ukulele so we have a strolling ukulele lesson in 3 chords. First section C. Second, F, Third G. No Songs. People creep in and out through the stairs to the alley and there's so much water on the floor that we have to keep single file for stretches. It's a fine cold evening on the beach the tide is low the air is crisp but that doesn't infiltrate bottle alley. the alley is much darker than outside and feels dark, sinister and dirty. We joke and we're grateful for each other's company but I'm glad when the stroll's over and we can get out of Bottle Alley.


We're up to date now.

2 comments:

  1. Dave, i really enjoyed reading your blog and I think it's a really nice thing you are doing to liven up Hastings rather quiet seafront. I can't think of anything more entertaining than watching you and a host of people belting out music along Bottle Alley. Can't wait to 'tune in' to further blogs and hopefully to attend a few of your walks during the year.
    Good Luck in your venture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Seaside Sally, thanks for your comments, and for strolling along this afternoon!
    Dave

    ReplyDelete